Re: [SystemSafety] FMEA draft international standard

From: Peter Bernard Ladkin < >
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 13:32:20 +0200

On 2014-07-16 12:58 , Matthew Squair wrote:
> There's already standards released and available for FMEA, see the SAE's J standard, and the
> venerable MIL-STD-1629. So why do we need another? Before we go gaily skipping down the primrose
> path of generating another standard, perhaps someone could state clearly why these are inadequate
> and clearly define what the hoped for improvement is?

Each automobile company has its own internal standard, most of which are technically far more detailed than any of the public standards.

The point is scope. Ford's FMEA standard is for Ford. MIL-STD-1629 is for the US military. SAE is for automotive products. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the SAE standard is there simply because FMEA is named in FAR25.1309 as one of the three methods companies may use to show their products conform with the required risk limits (the two others being STs and RBDs).

If you want an FMEA in, say, a chemical plant, or a power plant, or a washing machine, then it is not covered by any of these. And if the IEC doesn't do it, ISO will, so there is some element of competition present (this is fact, BTW, not speculation).

Technical standards aren't necessarily for engineers. They are definitely for management, insurance companies and courts. They are important for product liability and for insurance purposes. They are used in litigation, mediation and arbitration like laws. Jens Braband has warned us about this, and I have actually been involved. It's no fun constructing arguments around something you know is inadequate or inappropriate.

systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Wed Jul 16 2014 - 13:32:33 CEST