Re: [SystemSafety] FMEA draft international standard

From: John Knight < >
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 11:29:33 -0400

On 7/16/14, 3:53 AM, Peter Bernard Ladkin wrote:
> For example, John Knight has complained publicly that he cannot obtain copies of standards to which
> he has himself contributed as a committee member without paying out large sums of money to which he
> does not have access in his academic role. And his students thereby cannot study them. He is right.
> Almost all academia is hindered from using actual - even past - standards in their teaching, at
> least in the area in which I work. That seems to be absurd if the standards' claim to codify current
> state of the art is true.

Just to follow up on what Peter said here, I have proposed a model in which:

As an example, in my model RTCA DO-178C would be in the public domain. But any organization seeking certification from the FAA for an avionics software system would pay a fee to RTCA. The FAA would require a copy of the receipt.

This model provides the community with full access to the standards and charges those who benefit commercially from standards rather than the community at large.

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Fri Jul 18 2014 - 17:29:50 CEST