Re: [SystemSafety] Columbia Risk Assessment

From: Andrew Rae < >
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 17:35:09 +0100

Thanks, Nancy.

Knowing that a document doesn't exist saves me a lot of effort in trying to find it.

I was mislead by the way it was cited , and called both a "hazard analysis" and a "report" into thinking it was a report containing a hazard analysis. The way it is described suggests that the report authors hadn't actually seen it, though, just seen or heard it referred to. Second-hand citations are very
frustrating.

Drew

My system safety podcast: http://disastercast.co.uk My phone number: +44 (0) 7783 446 814
University of York disclaimer:
http://www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm

On 2 September 2014 16:56, Nancy Leveson <leveson.nancy8_at_xxxxxx

> It is not a document. "37" was the number of the hazard in the Shuttle
> Hazard Log. There is no way NASA is going to give anyone all their hazard
> logs and database information.
>
> Nancy
>

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 11:53 AM, Andrew Rae <andrew.rae_at_xxxxxx >
>> Hi Folks,
>> A very specific question about the Columbia STS-107 accident.
>>
>> The main risk assessment for the shuttle foam / Thermal Protection System
>> debris impact issue prior to
>> STS-107 appears to be a document called "Integration Hazard Report 37".
>>
>> Despite (or maybe because of) the depth of material released about the
>> shuttle pre-launch approval and post-mission reviews, I am really
>> struggling to
>> find the actual document.
>>
>> Have any of you who have researched or written about Columbia managed to
>> find a copy?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Drew
>>
>> My system safety podcast: http://disastercast.co.uk
>> My phone number: +44 (0) 7783 446 814
>> University of York disclaimer:
>> http://www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm

>> systemsafety_at_xxxxxx >>
>>

> --
> Prof. Nancy Leveson
> Aeronautics and Astronautics and Engineering Systems
> MIT, Room 33-334
> 77 Massachusetts Ave.
> Cambridge, MA 02142
>
> Telephone: 617-258-0505
> Email: leveson_at_xxxxxx > URL: http://sunnyday.mit.edu

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Tue Sep 02 2014 - 18:35:21 CEST