Re: [SystemSafety] Children as a causal factor in major accidents

From: Mike Ellims < >
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 13:59:09 +0100

Children are sometimes treated as a special case in some automotive safety analysis e.g. what happens if a child is playing in a car and they do X? This is driven from practical experience from incidents with items such as power windows and automatic transmissions (e.g. taking a vehicle out of Park) where deaths have occurred.

In vehicle crash testing use of child, and baby crash test dummies is standard.

From: systemsafety-bounces_at_xxxxxx Sent: 01 October 2014 09:43
To: systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Subject: [SystemSafety] Children as a causal factor in major accidents

Hi folks,

I've had an interesting request for a DisasterCast episode focussing on children and major accidents.

  1. Can anyone suggest a major accident where the presence or behavior of children have been a causal factor? I'm looking specifically for where they increased or determined the likelihood of the accident, not just accidents with large numbers of children.
  2. Can anyone suggest (in public-domain terms) ways children have had to be treated as a special case in safety analysis?

Off the top of my head I can think of children as a special group in population dose-response modelling for chemical releases, and the debate about child restraints in aircraft.

[Didn't want to send a separate email to the whole list, but a public thank you to John and Nancy for help with my last request re Columbia].

Drew

My safety podcast: disastercast.co.uk

My mobile (until October 2nd): +44 7783 446 814

My mobile (from October 6th): 0450 161 361

---