Re: [SystemSafety] Nissan's new Indian car unsafe

From: Peter Bernard Ladkin < >
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2014 09:45:23 +0100

On 2014-11-07 21:54 , José Faria wrote:
> Sadly enough, rule of law for some people/organizations seams no more than a getaway for
> tremendously stupid acts.

Personally, I wouldn't rush to judgement on the efficacy of such a (to us) flimsy vehicle.

The most obviously dangerous feature of traffic in many countries is not the construction of the vehicles but the carefree driving behavior. This is particularly true in this vehicle's target market.

There are plenty of people there whose normal mode of transport for self+spouse+kids+wares+goat is a small motorcycle. I see many reasons why the occupants would be better off with four wheels instead of two and minimal shelter from the environment. The goat would likely be happier, and the market wares stay dry when it rains. If you make the vehicle collision-resistant, then that might well encourage the driver to be more assertive in the traffic melee (what John Adams calls risk homeostasis if I remember rightly) and many of them doing it would render the roads even riskier for pedestrians and two-wheeled-vehicle riders than they are at the moment.

As I think Mike Ellims once wrily noted, it has been suggested that a huge contribution to road safety anywhere could come from a mandatory sharp spike mounted in the steering wheel pointing right at the driver! :-)

systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Sat Nov 08 2014 - 09:45:33 CET