Re: [SystemSafety] Nissan's new Indian car unsafe

From: Matthew Squair < >
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2014 00:12:48 +1100

Perhaps we have less accidents (and also more rules and engineered  solutions) simply because we're 'safer', e.g more cautious, as a society and as individuals. We just seem to confuse cause with effect.

If as John Adams argues a developing countries death rate from cars accidents is essentially independent of the design of the cars or the rules on the local statute books, then you could argue exactly the same in reverse about developed countries. Say we filled London with jitneys, scooters and motorized tri-shaws, if we take John's theory to its logical conclusion the fatality rate still wouldn't budge.

Matthew Squair

MIEAust, CPEng
Mob: +61 488770655
Email; Mattsquair_at_xxxxxx