[SystemSafety] NHTSA request for comment on automotive safety and security standards

From: Philip Koopman < >
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 14:30:45 -0500

The US Dept. of Transportation/NHTSA has put out a call for comments on automotive electronics safety and security standards (including software). I encourage everyone involved in this type of research to submit comments so they have input from the research community in addition to the likely submissions from automotive manufacturers.

It seems that the question at hand is the degree to which safety standards should be required (if at all) for future vehicle development. The current situation in the US is that, more or less, there is no such governmental requirement. There is reactive handling of identified problems, and there is litigation, and there are vehicle behavioral level safety standards, and so on. But none of this directly requires following a defined safety process during development. Nor is there a requirement for a safety argument. Nor is there a requirement for safety certification. If you'd like to see a change, this is your chance to weigh in with an opinion.

"SUMMARY: This notice presents the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s research program on vehicle electronics and our progress on examining the need for safety standards with regard to electronic systems in passenger motor vehicles. The agency undertook this examination pursuant to the requirements of the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP–21) Division C, Title I, Subtitle D, Section 31402, Subsection (a). In addition, and in accordance with MAP– 21, we are seeking comment (through this document) on various components of our examination of the need for safety standards in this area. As MAP–21 also requires this agency to report to Congress on our findings pursuant to this examination, we intend to submit a report to Congress based in part on our findings from this examination and public comments received in response to this document.   DATES: You should submit your comments early enough to ensure that Docket Management receives them no later than December 8, 2014."

Complete call for comments here:

   http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2014-10-07/pdf/2014-23805.pdf