[SystemSafety] The Leveson Indictment

From: Les Chambers < >
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 23:02:31 +1000

Nancy

RE: < I think it is time for me to get off this list. There is too little useful and correct information about system safety. Please remove me.>

It is true that posts on this list sometimes venture into serendipitous territory. But this is the very nature of discourse between creatives. You wander into the seemingly irrelevant and all of a sudden something highly relevant emerges. August Kekulé had a day-dream of a snake seizing its own tail (this is a common symbol in many ancient cultures known as the Ouroboros or Endless knot) and went on to discover the ring shape of the benzene molecule. Postit notes came out of a 3M focus group suggesting that 3M should make a glue that wasn't sticky.

I share the experience of many designers, in that many creative insights come at you from left field when you are not thinking about design.

It is also common for people with ideas to be written off as irrelevant. They are routinely demonised as an eccentric and quirky - even dangerous. Case study: David Harel, who reports there were suggestions that state charts were unsafe (this was 20 years ago - you deserve the right of reply).

You are entitled to your opinion but I think it's a little harsh. From time to time this list has been invaluable to me (example: the formal methods discussion).

Cheers

Les

Harel paper:
http://www.wisdom.weizmann.ac.il/~harel/papers/Statecharts.History.pdf

Les Chambers
Director
Chambers & Associates Pty Ltd
<http://www.chambers.com.au> www.chambers.com.au

Blog: <http://www.systemsengineeringblog.com/> www.systemsengineeringblog.com

Twitter: <http://www.twitter.com/chambersles> _at_xxxxxx M: 0412 648 992
Intl M: +61 412 648 992
Ph: +61 7 3870 4199
Fax: +61 7 3870 4220
<mailto:les_at_xxxxxx

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Mon Nov 17 2014 - 14:02:59 CET