Re: [SystemSafety] Autonomous Vehicles and "Hacking" Threats

From: Martyn Thomas < >
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 15:47:40 +0000

On 21/11/2014 16:38, Stefan Winter wrote:
> I had hoped for some better estimate of defect densities for the
> latter. The best approximation I had come up with so far is the
> product of "lines of code in a modern car" (100 million for a premium
> car in 2009) and "defect count per line of code in really critical
> software" (10^-4). I had taken these numbers from an IEEE spectrum
> publication and a short paper from Gerard Holzmann, hoping that
> critical NASA software contains in average less bugs than common
> automotive code and the calculation, hence, gives me a conservative
> estimate. If anyone has a better idea or wants to share more accurate
> numbers, please let me know. :-)

Andy German's Crosstalk article
(http://www.crosstalkonline.org/storage/issue-archives/2003/200311/200311-0-Issue.pdf) decribed the analysis of a range of software in a military aircraft. He reported a range of "anomaly" densities, ranging from 4/KLoC to 250/KLoC.

systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Sat Nov 22 2014 - 16:47:53 CET