Re: [SystemSafety] Autonomous Vehicles and "Hacking" Threats

From: Brent Kimberley < >
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 22:03:13 +0000 (UTC)

How does Andy et al estimate the volume of undiscovered anomalies?

On Saturday, November 22, 2014 10:47 AM, Martyn Thomas <martyn_at_xxxxxx

  On 21/11/2014 16:38, Stefan Winter wrote:

I had hoped for some better estimate of defect densities for the latter. The best approximation I had come up with so far is the product of "lines of code in a modern car" (100 million for a premium car in 2009) and "defect count per line of code in really critical software" (10^-4). I had taken these numbers from an IEEE spectrum publication and a short paper from Gerard Holzmann, hoping that critical NASA software contains in average less bugs than common automotive code and the calculation, hence, gives me a conservative estimate. If anyone has a better idea or wants to share more accurate numbers, please let me know. :-)

 Andy German's Crosstalk article (http://www.crosstalkonline.org/storage/issue-archives/2003/200311/200311-0-Issue.pdf) decribed the analysis of a range of software in a military aircraft. He reported a range of "anomaly" densities, ranging from 4/KLoC to 250/KLoC.

systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Sat Nov 22 2014 - 23:06:17 CET