[SystemSafety] Spike or No Spike in US Road Accidents after 9/11?

From: Peter Bernard Ladkin < >
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 07:47:00 +0100

After the World Trade Center attacks on 11 September 2001, it was reported that many people in the US were driving long distances rather than flying because of concerns about commercial aviation security. And I recall William Safire pointing to the irony of this - one is much more likely to die through road traffic accident (the book chapter by Leonard Evans which I have referenced includes a number of comparisons).

So I was curious whether this effect appeared in the statistics. It doesn't appear in a comparison of the annual statistics for 2000 and 2001: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/TSF2000.pdf http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/TSF2001.pdf There are of course confounding factors.

Does anyone know of an analysis which shows a "9/11 effect" on US road accident statistics?

systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Thu Nov 27 2014 - 07:47:11 CET