Re: [SystemSafety] Autonomous Vehicles and "Hacking" Threats

From: Stefan Winter < >
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 12:06:32 +0100

On 11/23/2014 11:01 AM, Peter Bernard Ladkin wrote:
> On 2014-11-21 17:38 , Stefan Winter wrote:
>> I had hoped for some better estimate of defect densities ...... The best approximation I
>> had come up with so far is the product of "lines of code in a modern car" (100 million for a premium
>> car in 2009) and "defect count per line of code in really critical software" (10^-4).....
>> If anyone has a better idea or wants to share more accurate numbers, please let me know.
>
> Is your interest strictly automotive, or in gathering information from various sectors? Assuming
> it's the latter, here is some more info.

My interest is mostly, but not strictly, automotive. The references I have received from you and Martyn Thomas along with Dewi Daniels's comments are very helpful to put any estimate for (automotive) software defect rates in context. I agree that one should be careful drawing conclusions from defect density comparisons, as the measured densities may vary significantly with varying measurement processes and defect notions.

Thanks for your input!
Stefan

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Thu Nov 27 2014 - 12:10:28 CET