Re: [SystemSafety] NTSB report on Boeing 787 APU battery fire at Boston Logan

From: Matthew Squair < >
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 07:55:32 +1100

As you both point out there's plenty of information out there. The fruitful question IMO is what were the organisational, regulatory and cognitive factors were at work to make them disregard it? Plus they (the 787 team) and the FAA completely misunderstood the value and limitations of testing in their specific context.

I wrote a bit on where I thought they'd lost the plot when the interim report came out. In fact I wrote quite a bit, as it's an excellent case study of experimenters regress amongst other things, so perhaps we should really thank the players*?

http://criticaluncertainties.com/2013/02/12/boeings-lithium-woes-pt-ii/#more-6333 .

*As no one was hurt.

Matthew Squair

MIEAust, CPEng