Re: [SystemSafety] Another academic safety workshop

From: Peter Bernard Ladkin < >
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 13:33:10 +0100

For some reason, I didn't get Martyn's original.

On 2015-01-14 11:38 , nfr wrote:

> There is that, but very often the problem is that academics who are organising conferences do not seek or invite them.
>

>> On 14 Jan 2015, at 09:40, Martyn Thomas <martyn_at_xxxxxx >>
>> It's a pity, of course, but what's the incentive for an industrialist to
>> give up the required time (and sometimes travel costs) to PC duties?
>> On 14/01/2015 09:05, Peter Bernard Ladkin wrote:
>>> Is it just me, or are others sceptical about a - yet another - workshop on safety which has only
>>> academics on the PC?

Some incentives I have heard from others:

There is a standing argument that waxes and wanes amongst the SAFECOMP PC, for example, based on Martyn's question. Last time it waxed was Newcastle 2008.

Whatever incentives there might be, people from industry in Germany *are* motivated to work on PCs in functional safety. The German electrotechnical standards organisation DKE has its biennial workshop on IEC 61508 and functional safety in Erfurt in two months. All our presenters are from industry, with one exception (not me!). The PC consists of people from industry, all contributing their time pro bono, plus two DKE people .... and me. TüV Rheinland organises perhaps the best visited functional safety conference anywhere, with typically over two hundred participants - most industry. PC is mostly industry. TüV SüD has one, called SAFETECH. Again, PC and participants mostly industry. Both are annual.

systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Wed Jan 14 2015 - 13:33:18 CET