Re: [SystemSafety] Another academic safety workshop / why not industrialists ?

From: Stachour, Paul D BIS < >
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 13:34:59 +0000

Peter, Martyn, and all,

    For me, who works at a company that builds safety-systems, the answer is "Not much".

I suspect that is true for others as well. Like many industrialists, the criteria for me to attend any out-of-town conference is that I must write, submit, and have accepted a paper to give at such conference. However, getting clearance for such a paper from Engineering, Marketing, Legal, etc., not only at the factory where I work, but from the divisional headquarters as well, is a very time-consuming and lengthy process.

   And the "lessons learned" kind of paper, which indicates what works for us, and what does not work for us; at least in the time/effort required for a given technology and the respective results, is very unlikely to be approved, since it could very well be considered as "giving away some of our company's advantages."

   In particular, if I write something on the order of: In developing products A & B, we used technology T on A, but not on B, and found that T either was very helpful, or that the use of T had no effect on our defect-rates.

   Then
1) That is the kind of experiential paper that I as an industrialist would consider quite useful. 2) That topic has almost no chance of being approved.

Regards, ..Paul S.

Paul D. Stachour
Software Quality Assurance
Detector Electronics Corporation
A UTC Fire & Security Company
6901 West 110th Street, Bloomington, MN 55438 USA 952-941-5665, x8409
Paul.Stachour_at_xxxxxx
www.det-tronics.com

--The ideas and opinions expressed in this message
--are solely those of the message originator(s).
--The opinions of the author(s) expressed
--herein do not necessarily state or reflect those
--of Detector Electronics, or of United Technologies
--Corporation. They may not be further disseminated
--without permission. They may not be used
--for advertising or product endorsement purposes.