[SystemSafety] Data communication security system standards

From: M Mencke < >
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 10:55:32 +0100

Dear all,

I have some questions regarding the scope of some of the standards developed by ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC27 – IT Security Techniques. They are listed here:

http://www.iso.org/iso/home/store/catalogue_tc/catalogue_tc_browse.htm?commid=45306&published=on

It is divided into 5 principal Working Groups; Information security management systems (ISMS), Cryptography and security mechanisms, Security evaluation, testing and specification, Security controls and services, and Identity management and privacy technologies.

The standard I am currently investigating is a standard within the scope of WG 1, the ISO 27001. It is possible for a company to hold ISO 27001 certification. One of the sections of this standard concerns network security, and compliance with this standard assumes that the adequate protection mechanisms have been put in place by the company. However, as far as I can see, the application of the standard is limited to the organization itself. Therefore, the ISMS would be implemented only within the company. What I would like to know is if a company supplies a system which implements different types of network traffic, whether the protection mechanisms implemented within the networks for trusted/untrusted communication can be certified by a particular standard. The ISO 27001 standard relates to the organization, I would like to know if the data communications of the product itself can be certified. In the link I sent above there is a rather large number of standards, including ones regarding network security techniques. However, I do not have access to all of them, and I was wondering if these standards are intended for organizations or products, and whether anyone has seen certification of products according to these standards in practice.

On the other hand, there is the NITS 800-30 and one of the standards it references, the ISO/IEC 27005:2011. However, the ISO/IEC 27005 is also included within the list of standards applicable only to organizations, here: https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:pub:PUB200004:en

Therefore, I have some doubts regarding whether compliance with the NITS 800-30 or the ISO/IEC 27005 automatically implies that the organization’s products also comply with these standards.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Myriam.

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Thu Jan 15 2015 - 10:55:42 CET