Re: [SystemSafety] Another academic safety workshop / why not industrialists ?

From: Les Chambers < >
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 11:59:24 +1000

Paul
Thanks for this. You've neatly summarised the problem. Companies typically spend millions learning about the utility of various technologies and are not willing to give away competitive advantage. As a result the "good ideas" that emerge from high intensity application of various technologies are often buried for decades. I plan to discuss one example of this in an after dinner speech at the SCSC symposium in Bristol. The reason I can speak about it at all is: this scenario has its origins 40 years ago. The technology in question is now well documented in the literature and nobody will sue me.

I suspect this problem will never go away. After all, why would a company send representatives to speak at a seminar and pass around all their proprietary secrets. Conferences will continue to be populated by academics talking to each other. This is not necessarily bad because ideas are thrown around and collective wisdom no doubt improves them. I was once privileged to hear Ted Codd speak. He was the originator of the theory behind relational database technology. A humble researcher, he was astounded that 300 people would turn up to hear anything he might have to say.

One suggested improvement is better collaboration between academia and industry - the Americans are good at this. I have seen cases where academics have been seconded, long term, to complex systems projects and have made a useful contribution. Apply the torch to the belly of academic theory and you often come up with useful objects. In one case the entire V&V group within the computer science department of the University was hired away to work on a large project. I don't think any of the academics ever went back to their university. Many of them have gone on to stellar careers in industry.

Cheers
Les