Re: [SystemSafety] Another academic safety workshop / why not industrialists ?

From: Les Chambers < >
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 07:08:00 +1000

Martyn
This was a serious question. If the strategy did work it would restore my faith in humanity. In a past life I was involved in a similar scenario. The difference was that we concentrated on evangelising quality to our clients not our competition. The strategy did work and the story is documented here: http://www.systemsengineeringblog.com/better/

One thing I learnt is that it is very hard to motivate people off the page (for example, by handing them a set of quality standards). One cannot separate great ideas from the manner of their articulation and the manner of their articulation will depend on who is doing the articulating. And what we say about safety and quality is deeply connected to the way we say it, which is connected, in turn, to the values we hold. Great truths are to be tested not on the page, but in the real world. Only then will they be embodied by the unbeliever (usus est magister optimus).

If you could translate the paragraph above into Latin I would be most grateful.

Les