Re: [SystemSafety] Statistical Assessment of SW ......

From: Peter Bernard Ladkin < >
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 05:51:06 +0100

On 2015-01-24 00:12 , Matthew Squair wrote:
> Another non-trivial hardware problem is how to ensure a shared concept of time in a distributed
> system in the presence of clock drift. Said drift can lead to quite different responses to inputs
> from redundant identical components, based on their hitting a time gate at slightly different moments.

I thought Leslie Lamport and Fred Schneider essentially solved this problem thirty years ago. Are you saying the HW people haven't get got it on board? The original problem came from the SIFT verification attempt at SRI, along with the Byzantine Generals problem.

See for example item #62 on Lamport's publications list, a JACM paper: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/lamport/pubs/pubs.html#clocks

Schneider, for example: https://www.cs.cornell.edu/fbs/publications/byzClockBandol.ps

Here's a survey paper from 1990 from Barbara Simons, Jennifer Welch and Nancy Lynch which I didn't know about until I looked: http://groups.csail.mit.edu/tds/papers/Lynch/lncs90-asilomar.pdf

Ulrich Schmid did a lot of work on it in the 1990's, but I don't know it well. Here's a keynote talk he gave in 2007 https://ti.tuwien.ac.at/ecs/people/schmid/Mypapers/ispcs.pdf and a list of selected papers, which is unhelpfully presented without titles and with a somewhat inefficient window generation: https://ti.tuwien.ac.at/ecs/people/schmid/Mypapers

systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Sat Jan 24 2015 - 05:51:16 CET