Re: [SystemSafety] Statistical Assessment of SW ......

From: Les Chambers < >
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 21:19:46 +1000

Guys
Re: >> This argument came up again yesterday in a standards-committee meeting.

My understanding is that mathematical proofs for the reliability of an integrated hardware/software system have a lot in common with nuclear fusion. Ask any physicist and they'll tell you it's 30 years away. And in 30 years you'll get the same answer.
I'm not against healthy debate and basic research in this area but, the thought that this subject is being discussed in standards committee meetings gives me the horrors. Tell me this is not true!

One of the most useful and highly productive applications of these standards is attaching them to contracts. It is then incumbent on the supplier to comply and on the purchaser to validate compliance. Just the act of compliance has markedly improved the system development maturity of many organisations I have worked with. The downside of all this is the tendency of some standards bodies to throw in a normative reference to a process or method someone read about in a textbook, that is either totally impractical or so expensive to implement that supplier and purchaser can spend years negotiating them out of the contract. And these arguments can turn ugly. I once witnessed one contractor waiting till close to the delivery date, admitting to total non-compliance and bullying the prime contractor into ditching the compliance requirement. This was a no-brainer for the prime. Arguing the point would have held up the commissioning of a 13,000,000,000 dollar project.

So, until someone has written The Dummies Guide To Proof Of Reliability Of Software And Electronic Systems - something that can be implemented by a third year engineering undergraduate, please restrain your youthful enthusiasm and think about the flow-on effects of what you are doing.

Just checking:
My understanding of 61508's take on reliability software that implements a safety function is: if you follow processes x, y and z we will allow you to deploy your software in a hardware environment that is rated at probability of failure on demand A. We will not allow you to boast that your software is that reliable, we will just allow you to deploy. Believe me, just getting that message across to engineers, whose meaning of life does not emerge from probability and statistics, is a major ask. Question/ is this still the intent of the standard?

One could argue that this approach is also spurious. As others have pointed out, the hardware environments into which we deploy our software these days are often so complex you are hard pressed to calculate hardware reliability. Then if you consider systems thinking, the emergent properties of an integrated hardware and software system are likely to throw up failure modes that were not considered in either the hardware or the software designs.

So, I sincerely hope someone is working on Plan B for validation of the safety functions implemented with such systems.

Les