Re: [SystemSafety] A Whimsical Paradox

From: Miner, Paul S. (LARC-D320) < >
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:31:47 +0000

Smullyan's "Logicians who reason about themselves" had some interesting observations on similar questions.

http://www.tark.org/proceedings/tark_mar19_86/p341-smullyan.pdf

On 1/29/15 12:46 AM, "Peter Bernard Ladkin" <ladkin_at_xxxxxx

I'd not really heard about the "Chem Trails" nonsense except superficially, had an odd encounter on a bus, and asked people about it on a closed mailing list I am on. Mike Holloway said, well, everyone believes *some* nonsense.

I am interested in everyday reasoning, which, contrary to what many people believe, regularly and justifiably does not always adhere to "classical" logic. I would say that an example is Mike's claim. I saw the chance to construct a classical-logical paradox. Maybe I did; maybe I didn't.

The paper is aimed at curious teenagers rather than those with any technical training. But at least one adult has claimed to find it interesting. Perhaps others here might? http://www.rvs.uni-bielefeld.de/publications/Papers/LogicalParadox20150126.pdf

systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Thu Jan 29 2015 - 19:32:01 CET