Re: [SystemSafety] Oil train fireball

From: Driscoll, Kevin R < >
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 17:55:15 +0000

One thing that that this West Virginia, Lac-Mégantic, Lynchburg VA, Casselton ND, and other recent train BLEVEs have in common is that they were carrying Bakken crude oil from North Dakota. This oil has more volatile components than other types of crude oil<http://www.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304834704579401353579548592?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304834704579401353579548592.html>. I was recently at a meeting for the permitting process of a pipeline that would carry Bakken crude cross some of my property. This meeting had a surprising number of Luddites who were against the pipeline for safety reasons, completely ignoring the fact that this pipeline would by about 100x safer than the current train transportation.