Re: [SystemSafety] Practical Statistical Evaluation of Critical Software

From: Derek M Jones < >
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 18:21:26 +0000

Peter,

Lets apply a well known adage:
"All models are wrong but some are useful".

Lets put to one side the extent to which the proposed model is wrong.

I don't see how the proposed model is useful.

The use of Bernoulli/Poisson mathematics is proposed and you correctly point out that this only works if the data has the desired properties.

I would have proposed any combination of distributions, said the same thing and been just as correct as you.

Surely the approach should be to tell engineers to find out what distribution(s) their data has and then apply the probability analysis appropriate to that distribution(s)?