Re: [SystemSafety] Practical Statistical Evaluation of Critical Software

From: Matthew Squair < >
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 09:54:50 +1100

Isn't the model implicitly normative? After all we're talking about testing a designed thing over which we have control, rather than the world.

So from that perspective the approach is to tell engineers that if you do A,B,C then your software's behaviour is going to be close enough to a memoryless process such that the statistical techniques of the annex are useful.

Of course A, B, C might not be very well articulated, and the intent implicit rather than explicitly stated. I don't know as I haven't read the Annex (apologies).

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 5:21 AM, Derek M Jones <derek_at_xxxxxx

> Peter,
>
> Lets apply a well known adage:
> "All models are wrong but some are useful".
>
> Lets put to one side the extent to which the proposed model is wrong.
>
> I don't see how the proposed model is useful.
>
> The use of Bernoulli/Poisson mathematics is proposed and you correctly
> point out that this only works if the data has the desired properties.
>
> I would have proposed any combination of distributions, said the same
> thing and been just as correct as you.
>
> Surely the approach should be to tell engineers to find out what
> distribution(s) their data has and then apply the probability
> analysis appropriate to that distribution(s)?
>

> As I mentioned last week, Bev Littlewood and I have been writing a short
>> practical guide to
>> statistical evaluation of software with high-reliability requirements. It
>> has been apparent to us
>> for a while that IEC 61508-7 Annex D is an insufficient and in some
>> respects misleading guide to the
>> statistical evaluation of critical software, and it's been there in the
>> standard by now for 18
>> years. Time to fix that. This is the material we think should go into a
>> revision.
>>
>> It's available at http://www.rvs.uni-bielefeld.de/publications/Papers/
>> LadLitt20150301.pdf and has
>> also been submitted for publication.
>>
>> PBL
>>
>> Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Faculty of Technology, University of
>> Bielefeld, 33594 Bielefeld, Germany
>> Je suis Charlie
>> Tel+msg +49 (0)521 880 7319 www.rvs.uni-bielefeld.de

>> systemsafety_at_xxxxxx >>
>>
> --
> Derek M. Jones Software analysis
> tel: +44 (0)1252 520667 blog:shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com

*Matthew Squair*
MIEAust CPEng

Mob: +61 488770655
Email: MattSquair_at_xxxxxx