Re: [SystemSafety] Fault, Failure and Reliability Again (short)

From: C. Michael Holloway < >
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 09:04:00 -0500

On 3/3/15 2:11 AM, Peter Bernard Ladkin wrote:
> I had some private discussion with someone here who claims software cannot fail.
Perhaps this person is using "fail" to mean "wear out." Software cannot wear out. That is, software does not work properly one day in response to a given sequence of inputs in a particular environment, and then cease to work properly the next day in response to the identical sequence of inputs in the identical environment. If "fail" means "wear out" then "software cannot fail" is a coherent, correct statement.

(Note: I realize that the third sentence above is a simplification that may strictly apply only to deterministic software.)

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Tue Mar 03 2015 - 15:04:09 CET