Re: [SystemSafety] Fault, Failure and Reliability Again (short)

From: Peter Bernard Ladkin < >
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 13:39:55 +0100

On 2015-03-04 13:23 , Martyn Thomas wrote:
> Is there a need to update IEC 61508 to take account of this interaction?

Yes.

> If so, is there a plan to do so?

Yes.

An informal working group of the IEC MT will be looking at it and I am leading the WG.

The only current member of the WG is my PhD student Chris Goeker, who is currently working on the concept-rationalisation project SmartTerms http://www.iglos.de/doc/?q=node/17 which we are in with the IVA at the Technical University of Brunswick (TU-BS) and the PTB (the German equivalent to the National Physical Laboratory).

Current funding only allows SmartTerms to look at new areas of electrotechnology, e.g., "Smart Grid", "Smart Cities", "Smart House and Building", "Electro-Mobility" (electric road vehicles) and potentially Industrie 4.0 (robotics for factory production lines).

My group with TU-BS IVA and DKE have a joint project proposal in to the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi) to attend to this task for Functional Safety and Security, using the SmartTerms technology, and I imagine the work on behalf of the German delegation to the IEC MT would largely be done here. The funding isn't by any means assured.

systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Wed Mar 04 2015 - 13:40:02 CET