Re: [SystemSafety] Fault, Failure and Reliability Again (short)

From: C. Michael Holloway < >
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 07:54:43 -0500

On 3/4/15 7:14 AM, Peter Bernard Ladkin wrote:
> Although I do find reconciling concepts a less odd activity than
> responding to suggestions that the field in which some of the
> scientists I most respect have worked for four decades actually
> doesn't exist!

I don't think anyone has claimed that the field doesn't exist. Some have claimed that the work conducted in the field has not yet borne any healthy fruit. Some, myself included, doubt it ever will.

No one should be surprised if those claims and doubts turn out to be accurate. Even a casual look at the history of science will show that it is not all that uncommon for respected scientists to work for decades in areas that turn out to be (at best) fruitless.

--
/*cMh*/

The words in this message are mine alone; neither blame nor credit NASA
for them.