Re: [SystemSafety] Degraded software performance [diverged from Fault, Failure and Reliability Again]

From: Peter Bernard Ladkin < >
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 07:24:51 +0100

I think that Drew has pointed out a number of phenomena which result in software changing inadvertently and/or unobserved over time. Attributing the causes of those phenomena to "SW" or "HW" is I suggest of secondary interest. What is of primary interest is that they do occur and as a result software changes/can so change with the passage of time.

Suppose one wants to talk about that phenomenon. To me, "software degradation" seems a reasonable term to use. Others may prefer to invent another term.

It's clear to me that the phenomena (maybe not all of them, but at least some) do occur/have occurred and anyone preserving critical software for any length of time should take them into account; devise detection and prophylaxis mechanisms and so on. Sort of like hardware, really.

systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Thu Mar 05 2015 - 07:24:59 CET