Re: [SystemSafety] Software reliability (or whatever you would prefer to call it)

From: Michael J. Pont < >
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 10:55:34 -0000

Martyn suggests that we put the language to one side.

My take on the core problem.

IEC 61508-7 [2010] Annex D "provides initial guidelines on the use of a probabilistic approach to determining software safety integrity for pre-developed software based on operational experience. This approach is considered particularly appropriate as part of the qualification of operating systems, library modules, compilers and other system software."

In effect, I select an appropriate set of test data, run my system for a long time (or run lots of systems for a short time) and conclude - if no failures are detected - that the system is safe.

The longer that I test for, the higher the SIL level that can be assigned to the component that is being evaluated.

In my book, this is Black-Box testing.

If we revise this appendix as Peter proposes, then we may be able to help people to select more appropriate test data (and this may be an improvement) - but this will still be Black Box testing.

If we can't avoid this appendix altogether (and I'm sure that Bertrand is right about this), then we should - surely - be able to require some additional "White Box" assessments, such as code reviews, design reviews, etc (in line with the rest of the standard).

If we can achieve this, I would sleep more easily.

Michael.