Re: [SystemSafety] Software reliability (or whatever you would prefer to call it)

From: Martyn Thomas < >
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 12:25:51 +0000

Nick

You will recall that I started the thread with the title above by asking a question. To paraphrase: if some software is operating in a given operational environment, and fails repeatedly, and the causes of the failure are corrected by error corrections to the software, and the process continues for a significant time during which the number of failures per hour are observed to have reduced, what property of the software has improved? Specifically, why would it be wrong to call this property "reliability"?

Is it meaningless to say that one release of a software system is "more reliable" than an earlier release? If you believe it is meaningless to talk of software reliability in these contexts, please explain what phrase you would prefer to use, and why.

Martyn

On 09/03/2015 10:14, Nick Tudor wrote:

> In my view, the reason so many have commented on the list is that the
> kind of thinking espoused regarding so called "software reliability"
> costs industry and tax payers money and it is frustrating to have such
> written in standards which ill-informed users, such as those in
> government, take as read.

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Mon Mar 09 2015 - 13:25:58 CET