[SystemSafety] Language issues, control systems

From: M Mencke < >
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 11:51:27 +0200

Dear all,

I was wondering if anybody has any experience with SIL certifications where the final product should be usable in two different languages. For example, a centralized control system of any type, SCADA, etc. My question is if there are any potential hazards associated with an incorrect translation, what would be the best way to go about mitigating them? Would it be valid, for example, to use two translators and then cross-check the resulting translations, analyzing inconsistencies? The translations would be for the commands available on the HMI.

Really what I am trying to determine is the most common way of dealing with this issue during SIL certifications, as there may be more than one. That is, can it be considered as part of the generic product (no, I suspect), should it be considered as part of the specific application, can it be considered a SRAC, should it be dealt with during FAT…..? I work in the railway industry, but I imagine that this could be an issue in any industry where control systems are used. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Myriam.

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Mon Apr 27 2015 - 11:51:35 CEST