Re: [SystemSafety] Stupid Software Errors [was: Overflow......]

From: Martyn Thomas < >
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 15:05:56 +0100

Was this 8 months of simulation, to find an overflow error that static analysis could find in seconds?

It may even be true that the developers assumed correctly that noone would fly for 8 months without powering off the generators - in which case their fault may have just been not documenting that assumption as a requirement.

Martyn

On 04/05/2015 13:31, Matthew Squair wrote:
> On the other hand I don't think we should loose sight of the fact that
> the Boeing 'bug' was found by running a long duration simulation, not
> by an airliner falling out of the sky. So perhaps thanks is due to the
> Boeing safety or software engineer(s) who insisted on a long run
> endurance test and who might have actually learned something from history?

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Mon May 04 2015 - 16:06:04 CEST