Re: [SystemSafety] Wheel detachment from a moving car

From: Chris Hills < >
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 13:22:16 +0100

Hi David

I have an answer it's "data free" but...

I live in a small town in England and
Given
The number of tyre/breaks/exhaust places (approximately 10 and they have multiple bays) with a steady stream of vehicles all day, 6 days a week, having tyres/breaks done that require the removal and replacement or wheels AND
the number of local service garages (>14) that also replace wheels, but to a lesser extent.
AND
A smaller number of people (and RAC/AA) who change wheels due to punctures

Multiply this by all the towns in England (averaging out the big towns/cities and the very small ones) and you have a vast number (it has to be well into the thousands) of wheels being replaced every day in England.

I think had there been any real problem in the numbers of wheels coming loose it would be well known problem. Thus locking wire and or cotter pins would be required. Especially after the last 100 + years of increasing use of motor vehicles.

Certainly the RAC/AA roadside teams would be using a locking fluid on their roadside wheel changes if either organisation saw any problems at all.... The Same would apply to the major chains of Tyre/break concerns such as ATS As none of them do I can only conclude that there is no significant problem with wheels coming loose.

Regards

Chris