Re: [SystemSafety] Wheel detachment from a moving car / problem was solved many years ago, not widely adopted

From: Steve Tockey < >
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 15:15:02 +0000

I've got no idea how many miles I've driven in my life, but probably in the neighborhood of about 350,000. In all that time, I've seen wheels lost--by other people--twice. Once was on a freeway in California, I was headed north, they were headed south on the other side. I remember seeing the wheel bouncing down the southbound lanes as the car it came of at came to an abrupt halt. The other was when a wheel fell off a boat trailer.

I've seen the explosive failure on large trucks (lorries) twice just in the last 5 years. Big tires, big bang with lots of noise.

US drivers commonly see the fallen off tread from failed retread tires. You probably can't drive 50 miles without seeing that.

I remember my parents having Chrysler cars in the 1960 with the left- and right-hand wheel nuts. I remember being told that it was that way because of tire rotation it would tend to tighten loose wheel nuts rather than loosen them. It would be interesting to analyze when wheels do fall off do they tend to fall off the same side?? (thus, arguing for going back to the left- and right-hand format).

Cheers,