Re: [SystemSafety] Wheel detachment from a moving car / problem was solved many years ago, not widely adopted

From: Heath Raftery < >
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 09:48:07 +1000

On 27/05/2015 1:07 AM, Bernd Sieker wrote:
> This is strange; I talked to a number of people, and nobody knows
> anyone, or knows anyone who heard of anyone who has ever lost a wheel
> while driving. At least in Germany. I can't recall a single case being
> reported in the newspapers. Maybe shop procedures are better over here.

Interesting. Earlier I claimed that you'd be unlikely to find anyone that didn't know of some incident. Let me qualify that as my own experience, here in Australia, and only based on a handful of conversations whenever the topic comes up. It's possible that due to my small circle of influence that all my peers are recalling the same incident ;-)

> I heard of the Chrysler way (maybe some German manufacturers also did
> it?), but it just didn't seem to be worth the hassle because if
> tightened properly, wheel nuts just didn't fail.

I find it very hard to believe the assertion that this technique ever solved the problem, or that it hasn't been supplanted with better techniques. It was pre-1960 technology and I believe that the taper seat made that technique redundant. Note that the taper seat will only keep tight nuts tight, not prevent loose nuts from vibrating loose. It's very hard to imagine the direction of the thread has any influence on the behaviour lug nut, but I eagerly await to be shown otherwise.

Heath

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Wed May 27 2015 - 01:48:22 CEST