Re: [SystemSafety] Short and profound

From: Les Chambers < >
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 10:11:47 +1000

Drew

I don't think it's a question of agreeing or disagreeing. You can project the idea presented in this sentence onto your own life in your own way, as you have done. And the act of doing so helps you to reflect on your own belief systems.

I heard Okri recite his sentence on the radio. He has a beautiful and somewhat hypnotic African speaking voice, one that stops you in your tracks if you're walking through the room. It turns out that he derived this sentence from three pages of his writing. Reducing, reducing and reducing until he found its essence (would that we all had the time to do this). The result, I think, is perfectly balanced. "Take it," he says. "Use it as you wish. Abstract it further or project it onto your own experience and learn something about yourself." My choice would be to abstract it further to one word: maturity.

No matter how advanced we think we are, we will always be immature in some respect, and only "later on" will it "become clear" - on further reflection - how immature we were and what a bad idea {that} was at the time. My teenage adventures with alcohol and motorcycles are a good case study but I'd rather not go there.

Instead, I turn on my radio this morning and hear Stuart Russell, Professor of Computer Science at the University of California, Berkley speaking about lethal autonomous weapons systems (LAWS). He has just published a an article in the journal Nature. LAWS are the antithesis of functional safety, designed to kill people rather than protect them. He says the Israelis already have a LAW trained to loiter in the vicinity of the enemy, lock onto radar signatures and take out the installation without further involvement from a human being (even if it's set up in a preschool). Of course he'd like to see LAWS banned.

Applying Okri's sentence, I'd offer that: engineering involvement in LAWS development is a classical bad idea. Further, the profession should have a code of ethics that prohibits it. The pace of advancement in AI is accelerating to the point where legislators, the guardians of our collective morality, can't keep up. At some point the engineering profession, the one that knows what's happening before anyone else, will have to take ethical responsibility for its work products and just say, "NO". I have no doubt that this will " ... become clear later on," when the world is shocked enough by some uncommanded apocalyptic event. Though I hope it will be sooner than that.

I WAS walking through the room when I heard Okri's voice. I had plenty to do but couldn't resist hearing him out. Then he said,

 "That which we move towards, changes us."

Analyse that!

Cheers

Les