Re: [SystemSafety] Another unbelievable failure (file system overflow)

From: Chris Hills < >
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 13:23:50 +0100

Interesting one Roberto. I for one, can imagine it happening in a resource strapped small company:

Programmer: "Got that bloody file system driver working. Had to hack some crap together to figure out where the problem is, but I figured it out so I'll just go back and take out the nonsense." Manager: "It's working right? We have to ship!" Programmer: "It's working now, but it's very suspect." Manager: "Good, it's working. Ship now. We'll do whatever polishing you want in version 2." Programmer: "Sigh. The proverbial 'version 2' that never comes..."

Heath

[CAH]
I find that this is normally trotted out: the Bad Manager and the Good Programmer

However after many years of writing software, latterly selling, among other things, static analysers and doing many conference presentations on software development: I find that 70%+ of C and C++ programmers still see no need for static analysis! The don't like to have to work to style guides and fight against code subsets.

Incidentally at a UK tradeshow/Conference we run a coding challenge to find the errors in 30-50 lines of code. Generally the best scores are around 30% compared to those found by static analyser.

So despite, or perhaps because, I have been a programmer I don't hold to the automatic Bad-Manager/Good-Programmer stereotypes. It is normally six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Chris

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Thu May 28 2015 - 14:23:59 CEST