Re: [SystemSafety] Another unbelievable failure (file system overflow)

From: Heath Raftery < >
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 07:43:30 +1000

On 28/05/2015 11:50 PM, Chris Hills wrote:
> Static analysis isn't free. Testing isn't free.
> Who determines the need for or business case for static analysis and test?
> [CAH] normally (every report I have seen) static analysis saves a lot of
> time and money.
> The same is true of structured testing.

Funnily enough, the only experience I've had recommending static analysis is as the programmer to the manager. This is indeed the argument I use. A strange thing happens in business though (and perhaps my lack of comprehension explains why I'm the programmer and not the manager ;-) ) - capital costs and investment are worse than running costs. Buying and applying static analysis, even if it is cheaper in the long run, is always seen as less attractive than paying labour to deal with the consequences later.

Heath

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Thu May 28 2015 - 23:43:44 CEST