Re: [SystemSafety] UC Volvo has an accident

From: Corkery Tony < >
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 08:05:10 +0000

An interesting post and it certainly brought to mind Risk Compensation behaviour from the very start. However, in your last paragraph you imply the theory of Risk Homeostasis was proposed by John Adams. Whilst John Adams does discuss this topic at length in his books 'Risk' and 'Risk and Freedom', the theory was actually proposed by Prof Gerald J.S. Wilde:

Wilde, G.J.S., 1982. The theory of risk homeostasis: Implications for safety and health. Risk Anal., 2: 209-225.

I mention this just because it is the second time in the space of a fortnight where I have experienced John Adams being given inappropriate credit for this theory.

Cheers
Tony Corkery