Re: [SystemSafety] Report on Google autonomous vehicles

From: Tom Ferrell < >
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 17:46:54 -0400

While certainly far from statistically significant given the number of accidents vs. the total number of miles driven, it seems odd to me that eight out of twelve of the reported accidents are rear-end collisions (both in automatic and manual mode). After an admittedly short search on the wild west web, the highest rate I could find for the accidents in general in the US was in an old DOT report (CY 2000) that showed 29.7% of all accidents were of a rear-end type. A much more recent insurance site claimed 23% for CY 2010. Wonder if there is something inherently distracting about the Google vehicles that are increasing this rate?