Re: [SystemSafety] Chicago controller halts Delta jet's near-miss on takeoff: '1328, stop, stop stop!'

From: Andy Ashworth < >
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 14:03:29 -0400

Use of the phonetic alphabet and the associated numeral pronunciations (e.g. zero, fife, niner, etc) should have reduced the likelihood of ambiguity to a minimum. However, these in themselves don't address the problem of similar call-signs. Despite there being similarity in the area of the numerals, I note that the two airlines were different, and it would be extremely difficult to confuse "South Western" and "United". I wonder if this is a case where a pilot heard what he wanted to hear for one reason or another, and missed the initial part of the call-sign, i.e. the airline name.

Andy