[SystemSafety] Inside Out

From: Les Chambers < >
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 10:09:50 +1000

Hi

I saw Pixar's latest animated movie, Inside Out last night. It is a brilliant piece of theatre as well as being heavily allegorical and highly relevant to the current discussion on the cognitive state of various pilots and air traffic controllers. My suggestion for a double acknowledgement in the take off clearance protocol was based in the real need to have the state of cognition visible instead of implied. That is, made visible by saying, "I understand you are going to do this and I approve." This would solve PBL's concern about not understanding people's state of understanding when these accidents happen.

If you go to see this movie project yourself into what may have been happening in the mind of the KLM jumbo skipper on that fateful day at Tenerife airport. Which emotion was driving him?

This is worth the discussion in itself.

Les

Les Chambers
Director
Chambers & Associates Pty Ltd
<http://www.chambers.com.au> www.chambers.com.au

Blog: <http://www.systemsengineeringblog.com/> www.systemsengineeringblog.com

Twitter: <http://www.twitter.com/chambersles> _at_xxxxxx M: 0412 648 992
Intl M: +61 412 648 992
Ph: +61 7 3870 4199
Fax: +61 7 3870 4220
<mailto:les_at_xxxxxx

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Wed Jun 24 2015 - 02:10:11 CEST