Re: [SystemSafety] Shark!

From: Chris Hills < >
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 12:21:26 +0100

Safety is based on maths.

People and films OTOH are emotive.

After 9/11 many Americans would not fly the Atlantic for a while despite the attacks being staged from US domestic flights.

After the Liam Neeson Film "Taken" (about 2 US students being abducted in Paris) large numbers of US students, or more probably their parents on their behalf, decided not to do a European Trip.

Films are designed to play on fears and emotions also the suspension of disbelief. The problem is that people often believe films over history. (Saving Private Ryan for example). No matter how many charts and sensible articles you write about sharks "they have seen what a Great White can do to a boat.."

I am sure that if you got a Hollywood team to do a film you could worry people about chair safety.. Though I am not sure how you would work in the obligatory car chase.

Regards

   Chris

 Eur Ing Chris Hills BSc CEng MIET MBCS FRGS FRSA Phaedrus Systems Ltd Tel: FREEphone 0808 1800 358 96 Brambling B77 5PG Vat GB860621831 Co Reg #04120771 Http://www.phaedsys.com <http://www.phaedsys.com/> chills_at_xxxxxx