Re: [SystemSafety] Shark!

From: Les Chambers < >
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 10:11:28 +1000

Chris

RE your comment:

" Safety is based on maths.

People and films OTOH are emotive. "

This introduces an interesting philosophical point.

My view is that, although the analysis of safety might be based on maths the ultimate decisions to make something safe, or safe - er, or that something is safe enough, are made by human beings and are therefore based on emotion. Mathematical analysis is akin to peeing in your pants. It might give you a warm feeling but it never carries the day on its own. Hence my ongoing campaign to get more study of human emotions injected into engineering education. I think there is general agreement that systems are an integration of hardware, software and fleshware. But we continue to graduate engineers who have no formal training in, or knowledge of, the human condition.

Case study: a university professor who thinks he has solved a well recognised fault in air traffic control voice directives to pilots with a regular expression.

Further, regarding your mention of the phenomena where people mistake movie plots for reality; you are absolutely correct, it's a routine occurrence. And I totally agree with where you're going with this. Hollywood makes billions out of the human need to be fed information through stories. Functional safety engineers can also turn this to their advantage in helping people to make better emotional decisions about safety.

One aspect of story that we can make better use of every day is metaphor. Metaphor is a simplifying tool. Large and complex problems can be explained simply with metaphor. With the classic insight of the poet, Robert Frost once defined metaphor beautifully: "... Metaphor is explaining this in terms of that where this is new and that is familiar".

 One of the classic lines that came out of the movie Jaws - when the boat hunting the shark was attacked by the massive mechanical great white, Bruce - was, "you're going to need a bigger boat". Abstracted and projected onto the functional safety discipline this is a compelling metaphor for convincing management to spend more money on safety subsequent to a major incident or near miss.

The movie Apocalypse Now had another great boat metaphor:

(the back story: on a passage upper a river a decision is made to go ashore and search the jungle for mangoes. In the process they meet a tiger.)

The resulting wisdom, most profound:

"Never get out of the boat." Absolutely goddamn right! Unless you were goin'
all the way... Kurtz got off the boat. He split from the whole fuckin' program."

I'll leave that one for the list to ponder on.

Cheers

Les