Re: [SystemSafety] power plant user interfaces

From: Mike Ellims < >
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 20:55:03 +0100

The starting point might be a undergraduate text on human factors and design such as Sanders and McCormick; which is perhaps a long in the tooth (1993) but has a relatively broad coverage, a used copy is quite reasonable. Does anyone know of something a bit more recent with the same sort of coverage???

An interesting take on the subject is given by Norman in “the Design of Everyday Things” which looks at quite a few BADLY designed everyday things. A recommended read. I think of this every time I have to stop and decode the BEEP BEPP BEEP knobs on the gas hob. Of relevance here is perhaps figure 4.6 which show two knobs at a nuclear plant replaced by beer keg handles so operators can tell them apart….

From: systemsafety-bounces_at_xxxxxx Sent: 12 July 2015 20:01
To: systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Subject: [SystemSafety] power plant user interfaces

Dear Experts,

what is the basic literature on power plant user interfaces, especially if it is a nuclear power plant?

I have learned that the Three Mile Island accident was partly due to errors in the control interface.

---