Re: [SystemSafety] Fwd: Re: power plant user interfaces

From: Steve Tockey < >
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 16:23:12 +0000

The whole point of a metaphor is to take something that the person is already familiar with--like how a railroad switching yard works--and use that to help them understand something they don't know about--like how a network router works. In fact, network routers and railroad switching yards are entire different under the covers, but it's much easier for the person to understand routers in terms of switching yards.

Effective HMI metaphors would be unlikely to be at the level of arrows, needles, etc. The metaphor should be at a much higher level. Amazon.com's "shopping cart" metaphor is a perfect example of proper use of a metaphor in UI. There's no such thing as a shopping cart in the client-server code running when you shop at Amazon.com. But you're already familiar with them, so it helps you deal with using the system: add to cart, remove from cart, proceed to check out, ¡¦ It's such an effective metaphor that most people don't even realize a difference.

Note, however, the shopping cart metaphor would be entirely useless for a user who was only familiar with the "bazaar" style of shopping: go to one vendor for this, another vendor for that, haggle over prices, ¡¦

When there is an effective metaphor, it can be amazingly effective. It's just not always possible to find such a metaphor for every system.