Re: [SystemSafety] Fwd: Re: power plant user interfaces

From: Smith, Brian E. (ARC-TH) < >
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 16:51:05 +0000

Very much agree, Steve, it¡¯s not possible to find a metaphor for every system.

The point I was trying make is that in, say the flight deck of an airplane, certain things like how the horizon moves in an ADI and how the landing gear lever is designed (some with little wheels on the end to remind pilots what system the lever controls without having to look) and how it moves positionally - up or down - serve as an intuitive HMI metaphors for the real world outside or the associated airborne system.

See: Why the wheel on landing gear levers? http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/tech_ops/read.main/147082/

I would argue that arrows and altitude/airspeed speed tapes on cockpit PFDs are possibly at the same level as the landing-gear lever design.

Metaphors can exist at multiple levels. At each level, they should as you say, create a situation where people don't even realize a difference.

Clear as mud?