Re: [SystemSafety] "XYZ Case" Standards

From: SPRIGGS, John J < >
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 07:49:17 +0000

Not used it, but I saw a draft a long time ago; I kept a note of a particularly useful paragraph that makes an observation on the use of numerical probabilities in assurance arguments:

Applying probability-based analysis can be fraught with difficulties. Reasons for difficulties include: (a) the probabilities required are generally difficult to obtain, and (b) the analysis is sometimes not useful for dealing with very improbable events. However, not using a well-reasoned, quantitative method such as probability can also be fraught with problems - possibly more.

So - it's tricky, then. This paragraph did not apparently make it to the published version.

John