Re: [SystemSafety] The VW Saga

From: Driscoll, Kevin R < >
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 09:36:09 +0000

What I am afraid of is that we will find other diesel engine manufacturers that have software that falls into a gray area. Where is the line between emissions "cheating" and software that just happens to optimize engine emissions for driving conditions that look in awful lot like emissions testing scenarios? Bringing us back to our regularly scheduled program: where is the dividing line between safe and unsafe software?

And, of course, both of these will run into the issue Peter raises below of the public's interest in knowing what is in software versus the software creators' desire to keep trade secret IP.

P.S.
Yesterday I saw my first television ad for an "ambulance chasing" law firm that was pretending to be (or heavily implied that it was) the official recall contact.