Re: [SystemSafety] The VW Saga

From: Matthew Squair < >
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 19:41:09 +1100

Not to mention that's work, which requires funding from someone's budget. So unless they're running a complete slush fund there'll be some level of financial line item accountability somewhere.

Unless VW has a black bag budget of course. :)

Matthew Squair

MIEAust, CPEng
Mob: +61 488770655
Email; Mattsquair_at_xxxxxx
Web: http://criticaluncertainties.com

On 13 Oct 2015, at 7:15 PM, Martyn Thomas <martyn_at_xxxxxx

I'd like to see what the software configuration management system records about the reasons for the "defeat device". No software change gets implemented without explanation and approval.

Regards

Martyn

On 12 Oct 2015, at 20:47, Chuck_Petras_at_xxxxxx

In opening I will say that I am the owner of a '12 VW Jetta TDI.

To me the issue isn't the NOx emission levels. Its the fact that VW had (has) a corporate culture that would condone this sort of thing. What other systems have been compromised? Is there an Easter egg in the stability control system? Airbags? This really is the issue.

Regulators Investigating 2nd VW Computer Program on Emissions <
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/09/business/international/vw-diesel-emissions-scandal-congressional-hearing.html

​VW sets January for diesel emissions recall <http://www.cbsnews.com/news/vw-sets-january-for-diesel-emissions-recall/> "Mueller said 'according to current information, a few developers interfered in the engine management.' He said he doesn't think the management board made the decision to use the manipulated software."

Chuck Petras, PE
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc Pullman, WA 99163 USA
http://www.selinc.com
Tel: +1.509.332.1890

SEL Synchrophasors - A New View of the Power System < http://synchrophasor.selinc.com>

Making Electric Power Safer, More Reliable, and More Economical (R)

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx <systemsafety_at_xxxxxx

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx <systemsafety_at_xxxxxx

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Tue Oct 13 2015 - 10:41:20 CEST